Accessing healthcare over the festive season

Over Christmas and the New Year, there are plenty of NHS services open in North Central London. If you have any health concerns during this time, your local healthcare team are here to help you. 

You are urged to think carefully about which service is right for your needs, so you can access the right care.

Here are some services if you become unwell over the festive period.

When it is urgent but not a life threatening illness or injury, visit or call 111 free from mobiles and landlines. The service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Trained advisors will help you get the right medical attention when you urgently need it and can put you through to healthcare professionals or direct you to an urgent treatment centre, emergency dental services, GP, pharmacy or another more appropriate local service.

For life-threatening injuries or conditions such as a heart attack or stroke, go to A&E or call 999.

Your local pharmacist can give you friendly, expert advice about over-the-counter medicines for common conditions, such as diarrhoea, a runny nose, or a painful cough or a headache, without the need for an appointment.

As well as dispensing prescriptions, pharmacists provide a range of services, including emergency contraception and incontinence supplies. To find a pharmacist near you, visit find-a-pharmacy

GP appointments are available through GP hubs across North Central London’s five boroughs: Barnet, Camden, Enfield, Haringey and Islington.

GP hubs are staffed by experienced GPs and nurses and offer assessment and treatment for adults and children with minor injuries and illnesses. 

To access the service in your area, contact the relevant number below:

  • Phone 03000 333 666 to book an appointment in Enfield
  • Phone 020 7391 9979 to book an appointment in Camden
  • Phone 0330 053 9499 to book an appointment in Haringey
  • For residents in Islington, simply call your own GP practice during their normal opening hours and ask for an I:HUB appointment

NHS urgent treatment or walk-in centres are available if you need help with a minor injury or illness that is not life-threatening, such as sprains and strains, broken bones, minor burns and scalds, minor head and eye injuries, bites and stings.

Visit or call 111 so you can be referred to your nearest urgent treatment centre. For more information on local NHS services, visit