We are in a fast moving, evolving situation and, as with any new strain of infection, there are multiple sources of guidance and information produced for staff.
We recognise that this can be confusing for staff. Therefore, we have set up a dedicated email address and phone number, directing you to published advice and guidance regarding Infection Prevention and Control (IPC) and PPE procurement.
Contact details for IPC
- Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 020 3816 3403
The email address and telephone number will be monitored by Dee Malone who has significant experience in IPC, Monday – Friday, 9am – 5pm.
Contact details for PPE procurement
- Email: email@example.com
The email address is monitored 7 days a week, including bank holidays.
More information, including emergency PPE procurement can be found below.
Please note, the team will not provide clinical advice on the management of individual patients.
- How to work safely in care homes
- How to work safely in domiciliary care
- Putting on and removing PPE – a short video
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): admission and care of people in care homes)
- New requirement to test patients being discharged from hospital to a care home
- Guidance on provision of home care
- NCL care homes, extra care sheltered and domiciliary care
- COVID-19: personal protective equipment use for non-aerosol generating procedures
- Covid-19 Safe ways of working
- Frequently asked questions on wearing PPE
- Recommended PPE for healthcare workers by secondary care inpatient clinical setting, NHS and independent sector
- Recommended PPE for primary, outpatient and community care settings
- Recommended PPE for ambulance staff, paramedics, first responders and pharmacists
Across North Central London, local authorities and NHS organisations are working together to address the challenge of obtaining and distributing PPE that cannot be sourced through existing procurement routes or via the national PPE supply channel.
To support distribution, a centralised NCL procurement network has been established. The network consists of:
- A robust NCL system underpinned by borough-based local authority and primary care delivery hubs to assist rapid distribution.
- A stock reporting system to assess local usage and assist with longer term planning.
- Support for organisations providing healthcare sitting outside usual NHS distribution channels such as hospices and private hospitals.
- A website with procurement guidance and individual procurement support provided via email monitored 7 days a week.
- Weekly support calls with local authority and primary care leads to identify local issues.
- A system of mutual aid to address local acute shortages and share equipment across NCL.
- Links to daily NHSE briefings for up-to-date information.
- Access to specialist infection control expertise through a dedicated email and website information.
Webinar support for care homes and GPs to discuss infection control and PPE procurement issues.
Limited equipment is available via the NCL distribution hub. Available are:
- Surgical Face Masks
- FF3 Masks
- Disposable Aprons
- Alcohol based hand rub
- Eye protection.
Support with specific procurement enquires can be accessed via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The email is monitored frequently 7 days a week and available supplies are delivered within 24 hours of the request.
Ordering Emergency PPE for primary care organisations in NCL
In each borough a PPE hub has been set up to enable emergency equipment to be distributed efficiently. Hub receive weekly top up deliveries via the NCL network. Leads for each network are set out below:
|Barnet||Barnet GP Federation, 311 Ballards Lane, Finchley, N12 8LY||Teresa Callum email@example.com|
|Camden||Camden Health Evolution & Haverstock Healthcare Ltd, 6 Peckwater St, Kentish Town, London NW5 2UP||Beth Nelson firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Enfield||Enfield GP Federation, Enfield Healthcare Co-operative, (t/a Enfield GP Federation), Level 2, Evergreen PCC, 1 Smythe Close, Edmonton, N9 0TW||Renata Chavda email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Haringey||Hornsey Central Neighbourhood Health Centre, 151 Park Rd, Crouch End, London N8 8JD||Jana Lloyd email@example.com|
|Islington||Islington GP Federation, 16-18 The Studios, 8 Hornsey Street, London N7 8EG||Katie Butler firstname.lastname@example.org|
Ordering PPE for social care and community organisations in NCL
In each local authority a PPE hub has been set up to enable emergency equipment to be distributed efficiently. Hub receive weekly top up deliveries via the NCL network. Leads for each network are set out below.
The leads for each borough are as follows:
Infection control e-learning course
Infection prevention and control are essential to prevent the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19). This video-based course for care providers in care homes and home care will teach you about the spread of infection and what you can do to protect both yourself and the people you care for. We’re also hosting several infection control resources from across the sector.
Skills for Health: Covid-19 resources
This free online resource has been developed for those working in the public sector, particularly key workers, to learn about Covid-19, symptoms, infection prevention, investigation, guidance and support.
The content now includes additional information and training on infection prevention, PPE, hand and respiratory hygiene, management and assessment, sampling and testing, patient transfers/managing patients and much more, to support you in your role.
If you have colleagues who would like to take the course, please direct them to the Skills for Health website.
E-learning for healthcare: Covid-19 programme
This programme has been created by Health Education England e-Learning for Healthcare in response to the COVID-19 global pandemic. The programme includes key materials to help the health and care workforce respond to Coronavirus. https://www.e-lfh.org.uk/programmes/coronavirus/
- COVID-19: admission and care of people in care homes guidance webinar
- Covid-19 Infection Prevention and Control webinar – 30 March 2020
- COVID-19 Care Home settings webinar slides (21st April 2020)
- Covid-19: Issues for Care Homes / Care Providers Webinar 29 April 2020
|Wednesday 10 June||1.00pm – 2.00pm||Coronavirus Care Pathway (dealing with suspected cases) – latest guidance|
|Wednesday 17 June||2.00pm – 3.00pm||Supporting residents with a learning disability / MH condition / dementia / challenging behaviour during COVID|
|Wednesday 24 June||2.00pm – 3.00pm||NHS Mail / Digital support to care providers during COVID|
|Wednesday 1 July||2.00pm – 3.00pm||Clinical Support to Care Homes – changes to primary care / MDT expectations; pharmacy support to care homes|
|Wednesday 8 July||2.00pm – 3.00pm||Talking to relatives / supporting staff wellbeing during COVID|
Please contact Christina Sheils at Christina.Sheils@Barnet.gov.uk to receive an invite through Microsoft teams.
Weekly webinars for Primary Care continue every Thursday please contact Vijaya Ravindran at email@example.com to receive an invite through Microsoft teams.
The Infection Prevention Control/PPE and testing webinars for care homes and care providers are being held each week every Thursday between 2pm and 4 pm and can be accessed via the links below.
|Date and Time||Link to Training||Trainer|
|Thursday 9 July 2pm to 4pm||Join Microsoft Teams Meeting||Helen Brisbane|
|Thursday 16 July 2pm to 4pm||Join Microsoft Teams Meeting||Laura Rosario|
|Thursday 23 July 2pm to 4pm||Join Microsoft Teams Meeting||Amita Shah|
|Thursday 30 July 2pm to 4pm||Join Microsoft Teams Meeting||Helen Brisbane|