Community health services play a key role in our health and care system. They provide support across a range of needs and age groups but are most often used by children, older people, those living with frailty or chronic conditions and people who are near the end of their life.
Community health services offer a wide range of care, from supporting patients to manage long-term conditions, to treating those who are seriously ill with complex conditions, helping people to keep well at home and in community settings close to home. Community health service teams work closely with other parts of the health and care system, such as GPs, hospitals, pharmacies and care homes.
As people are living longer and as the numbers of people with long term conditions such as diabetes or complex health needs grows, it is expected that the demand for community health services will increase in the future.
Community health services in north central London
Before the formation of a single NCL CCG, the former CCGs in each of the boroughs were responsible for planning and paying for community health services separately. This has meant that the availability of community health services and how they are delivered varies from borough to borough. For residents living in north central London this has resulted in differing health outcomes depending on where they live.
As part of the community health services review programme, we are working with our health and care system partners to develop a comprehensive, consistent and equitable core service offer to address these health inequalities.
Our ambition is to:
- Develop a service offer which better supports those with long term conditions or complex health needs to stay well and live independently at home and in their own community.
- Design community health services so that they are more joined up with other services, such as GP services, hospitals, council and voluntary services, to deliver the best possible care.
- Support patients and service users to achieve better health outcomes and have a better experience of services wherever they live in north central London.
The majority of community health services delivered in north central London are provided by the following NHS trusts:
- Enfield Community Services hosted by Barnet, Enfield and Haringey Mental Health NHS Trust (BEHMHT)
- Central and North West London NHS Foundation Trust (CNWL)
- Whittington Health
- Central London Community Healthcare NHS Trust (CLCH).